Thursday, February 21, 2013

Android Google Play Download Error (911)

2014-03-04: After my phone bounced a number of times on the blacktop I got out an old one that wasn't being used. Turns out it was the one I used to write this post. It was a good opportunity to see if there still was a problem with downloading large games from Google Play. Had heard rumors that it had been fixed in a newer version but to my surprise I had NO ISSUE installing Defense Zone. I had noticed that they had reworked their program a little too and now used Google Game. May need to update my post on Google Play Movies too:-)

Wow!!! I finally got a phone with some great specs and to go along with it a huge and  fast SD card to hold anything I want. My first ever Android ran out of memory but not this one - a 16GB class 10 card should do the trick.
First test was with movies - my favorite app for this is MX  Player by J2 INTERACTIVE.  It supports hardware accelerated graphics too and I've used it more than a few times while deployed in Afghanistan but the real reason was for games.
Gaming on Android is in its infancy and my taste for games is very narrow. I've had only a few games on all my previous phones,  solitaire and a drag racing game that I play sparingly but with my new phone,  I was in search of something that would tax my new hardware.
Oh my - I found it on Google Play, Defense Zone HD by ARTEM KOTOV. Like alot of the programs, there was a free demo version so it founds it's way onto my phone. The graphics are great and the game play - well it satisfies my desire for stratigic analysis. Played the demo over and over until I finally decided to buy it.
My purchases on Play are few -  I only purchased one other program called SwiftKey Keyboard by SwiftKey. They nabbed me in the same way, free demo and an awesome program. After I woreout the free levels on the hardest setting I decided to buy it - no easy task for me but I had to have it. As I anticipated playing my new game and watching the progress bar, my excitement soon turned to frustration - what the @&#+!
At the end of the download - after reaching 100% there it was AN ERROR - "Defense Zone HD could not be downloaded due to an error. (911)." I was in disbelief and tried two or three more times with the same results. Google Play support however is alive and well, they credited my account but the only explanation was - not a certified phone. I was very disappointed but once the initial shock wore off I used my uncertified Android phone with official Google search to look for an uncertified fix.
Took a while but finally found a reference for a similar problem on a custom Android ROM. There are many download errors but I was looking for (911) and this was a numerical match. The article indicated a Google Play problem with all programs over 50mb so I tested this theory. It was TRUE, at least with my uncertified Android phone but I wasn't buying it. My uncertified phone has two SD cards that seems to give most programs problems.
Could I fix my uncertified phone simply by changing some settings? My Neobox Tuna 2 runs Android 4.0.3 but under the settings menu is a selection for storage. Not sure about all Android phones but mine shows two SD cards but with only one slot. My guess is that the internal memory uses an inaccessible SD card slot for reduced cost but it seems to give some programs problems.  Other programs however read both with no problem and work as they should,  my immediate thought was a program issue that I could fix using the storage setting options on my phone.
The demo game I liked so well was under 50mb while the paid program was over so I had to find a demo over 50mb to test my theory. There are two settings for my phones storage that I thought would affect the download - one is the "preferred install location"  and the "default write disk". The preferred install has three choices: internal storage, sdcard,  or Let the system decide. Didn't even hesitate - selected internal storage. The default write disk has two choices,  sdcard and sdcard2. It's intuitive to think that the sdcard is the system card and from browsing it previously I knew this to be true - select. All I needed to do now was to find a demo - found it.
Defense Zone HD was created using a platform called Unity - Google found the website and I had a prospect: Shadowgun By MADFINGER Games. Found it quickly on Google Play and it downloaded NO PROBLEM. Opened it up and played it - NO PROBLEM. Couldn't believe it could be that easy so I un installed it,  changed the settings back and tried it again. There it was - the error, changed settings to internal and sdcard - installed. It seems like the Google Play 50mb download limit issue is actually an internal system issue. Even after all this I hesitated to download the game I actually wanted.
Thought about reasons why it wouldn't work for a couple of days. Played the demo as I thought about it until I wore out and mastered the levels. Kinda gave me a reason to try out my easy solution. Even after poking holes in my system settings experiment I still had doubts but they were only uneasy feelings. Defense Zone HD downloaded flawlessly on the internal sdcard settings and I'm still entertained.

16 comments:

  1. I have thisissue too, but i cant find preferred install location on my tablet (Android 4.1) pls help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your tablet have a storage setting?

      Delete
    2. I have 8 gb SD card and 2 gb internal storage.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Yes I have storage setting but its different than this on picture in post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably a different build but the overall issue is that your default download location has to be internal and NOT the external card. Maybe to trick it take out the SD card and see if it will download. On mine it wasn't any specific file but anything over 50mb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I even bought a new 16 gb sd card and also changed the settings still did not work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basic Google build does not seem to support the SD cards as configured on some phones - big games need to be downloaded to the internal memory and then moved to the SD card. Found other issues with movies on Google Play. Movies would not play on my Neobox but work fine on my Samsung.

      Delete
  5. I have over 2 gb of memory on my phone plus the 16 gb sd card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try taking the SD card out before downloading...

      Delete
    2. I did ...my phone is new plenty off memory ....comes up download error(911)....i dont know wat to do

      Delete
  6. My phone had internal memory, an internal SD card and an external sd card slot. Your system has to be set to default to the internal memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking out the card doesn't work. The games I try to download say that an external storage source is required

    ReplyDelete
  8. No easy solution then - doesn't sound like it's on Google Play anyway. Download the APK, put it on your external SD card and install it from there. You will have to change your security settings though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How to download the APK as I've used many services but the downloaded file's size is always much smaller then advertised on Play store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If its a game I would contact the publisher. They may actively place it on more sites than Google Play. If you purchase a game on Google play and you can not download it, Google will refund your money but it doesn't help
      if you want the game.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, this solved my problem! I couldn't figure out why the play store kept on giving me 911 errors whenever the apps are over 50mb. Tried everything but wouldn't download. Tried this and it fixed everything! Although for me I had to switch the default write disk to external sd card.

    ReplyDelete