Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Facebook Messenger

Just downloaded Facebook Messager to see how it works. Seems like any other texting software but except that it tracks your location - if you let it. Kinda cool but I'm not interested in publishing my location - I know where I'm at and where I'm going and I'm not usually lost:-) If I'm looking for someone I text them and ask where they are. I just don't get it.

What I AM looking to do is communicate thoughts and ideas. I think location is cool and there are alot of uses that have it built in - after 911 a system of location became a requirement in phones for governmental reasons and their may be an actual need. I just don't understand it's use in social media unless you're coordinating activities amongst alot of people or a specific type of group with specific spatial coordination requirements. Just doesn't see it as a typical social function.

Main goal: communicate ideas using words through multiple networks such as WIFI and all the G's. You know 2g, 3g, and 4g. I have a phone capable of communicating many things but I want it to communicate specifically what I intend and when a network, of some kind, is available.

I have a few pieces of software that I use on my Android to communicate: Heywire, Skype, and Google Talk. They all have their plus and minuses and now I know why I don't like Facebook Messenger so far. It DOES NOT WORK on phone networks.

Oh well, still kinda like it cause I DO DO Facebook I just don't have the app on my phone. Facebook seems to be creating a way to interact on an individual level that links interests but the experience is becoming less about common interests and more about linking add content to the right person. Think I'll keep Facebook Messenger though - just don't intend to share my location. At least in the automated sense. Just for the record, Google Talk works great on both WIFI and phone networks just as long as you are just texting. Heywire does too but it's hit and miss, depending on the country your in. Skype? Oh well - I use to like it but not so much now. I'm sure it's just the country I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment