Monday, June 24, 2013

Garmin or Holux - that was the question?

I began thinking of a much needed speedometer for my bike -  let the one I had go when I sold my "Urban Cruzer". Had almost decided to get the Garmin Edge 200 but remembered that I already had a data logger.


A Holux M-241 high performance wireless GPS logger with the following features:
  1. Dual interface (Bluetooth + GPS-mouse by USB cable).
  2. Compatible with Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) completely.
  3. Powered by one AA battery.
  4. LCD display (32mm L x 8.9mm W) to show position information, speed, capable logging memory size, date & time.
  5. Capable memory size to record up to 130,000 positions, including longitude, latitude, time, and altitude.
  6. Personal settings to select the logging mode by distance or time, unit by Kilometer or mile, and 3 languages (English, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese).

I use to use it all the time - would clip it on my handlebars and just let it run. AND, since it was Bluetooth I could use it with the Android EveryTrail App. Didn't feel like messing with an app though, just wanted to log my ride so I decided to get it out and it was then when I remembered why I liked it.
Its a serial device with a USB cable but for the convenience of USB you need to install a driver. I selected the appropriate USB cable driver and installed it and then download the newest Holuxlogger Utility and I knew from past experience - that's all I needed. You have to install the driver but the Holuxlogger Utility is just an executable, no install.
You connect to the device...
Upload track logs to your PC...
And convert them if needed! Couldn't think of a single reason why I needed the Garmin, especially since I already had the Holux M-241. I had used it previously to connect to my Android EveryTrail  App but this was even simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment